Is Likeability, One Of The Keys To Success As A Manager?It has been widely accepted that one of the critical factors contributing to success as a manager is likeability. People are generally more likely to respect, trust, and work with someone they like. And as we all know, people are usually more likely to be successful when they have positive relationships with those around them. So, if you want to be an effective leader of your team and a successful manager, it’s essential to foster a pleasant environment in your workplace. In this post, we’ll discuss how likability affects success as a manager and explore some ways you can improve your likability to achieve success as a manager. Likeability is a quality that is difficult to define but easy to spot. It is intangible, but it has a significant impact on success. You might be surprised to learn that likeability is one of the most critical factors determining success. Researchers found that likeability was an important trait for forming lasting work relationships. It is usually trumped by intelligence, charisma, looks, and even wealth. So what is likeability? Likeability is simply the ability to make others feel good about themselves. You do this by being positive, friendly, and interested in others. To be likable, you need to be genuine. You can’t pretend to be someone you’re not. People can see through fake personalities, and they won’t like you if you try to be someone you’re not. Be yourself, and people will appreciate that.
- Is Likeability, One Of The Keys To Success As A Manager?
- How does likeability contribute to success as a manager?
- 1. People are more likely to respect and trust the manager they like
- 2. Likeability is a critical factor in building strong relationships with co-workers and team members
- 3. Likable individuals tend to achieve better outcomes in their careers
- 4. Being likable can create a positive environment in the workplace that encourages creativity and innovation
- 5. Likeability also helps managers develop strong working relationships with clients and vendors
- 6. Lastly, being likable can help managers attract talented employees to their organizations
- How do you know that you are likable?
- How can you improve your likability?
- How does likeability contribute to success as a manager?
- Other Related Blogs
How does likeability contribute to success as a manager?There are many ways in which likeability can have a significant impact on success as a manager, including:
1. People are more likely to respect and trust the manager they likeManagers are ultimately responsible for the success or failure of their team. Therefore, they must be respected and trusted by their team members. A study published in the journal Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes found that people are generally more likely to respect and trust the manager they like. In other words, likability has a positive impact on team performance. Likable managers earn the respect of their team members and create an environment of cooperation and mutual trust. It makes it easier for team members to cooperate and share information, leading to improved performance.
2. Likeability is a critical factor in building strong relationships with co-workers and team membersLikeability is one of the critical factors contributing to success as a manager. Having a positive outlook and being a likable person go a long way in building solid relationships with your colleagues. These relationships are essential in managing difficult situations and resolving conflicts or resentment, leading to increased efficiency. It can further lead to increased productivity and cooperation among team members, facilitating more fantastic teamwork, ultimately leading to success for the manager.
3. Likable individuals tend to achieve better outcomes in their careersManaging people can be a challenging task, but one can make it a lot easier if you have a positive attitude and are someone that people can quickly like. Likable people tend to achieve better outcomes in their careers, as they are more likely to be allowed to develop and grow in their roles. They also tend to be better communicators, as they can understand and connect with others deeper. As a result, they can build trust and collaboration skills, which are essential for success in any career.
4. Being likable can create a positive environment in the workplace that encourages creativity and innovationThe workplace is often a challenging environment, and it can be challenging when it comes to creativity and innovation. However, if you’re able to create a positive and likable environment for your team, it will encourage creativity and encourage your team members to come up with new ideas. It can lead to success in both the short and long run, as your team will be more likely to stay with you for a more extended period and be more productive.
5. Likeability also helps managers develop strong working relationships with clients and vendorsBuilding a good relationship with your clients and vendors is essential for success as a manager. Good relationships help managers understand their customers and suppliers better, make better decisions, and collaborate more efficiently. When people feel like they can trust the manager, they are more likely to cooperate and provide accurate information. It also allows managers to resolve issues quickly and effectively, which leads to improved customer satisfaction and loyalty. The likability of the manager is a great way to develop these relationships.
6. Lastly, being likable can help managers attract talented employees to their organizationsBeing likable is not just one of the critical ingredients for success as a manager, and it’s also one of the key ingredients for attracting talented employees to your team and the organization. A Gallup study found that likable managers attract talented employees and retain them for a longer period. 67% of employees would instead work for friendly leaders or managers over someone competent but not likable. When a manager is friendly, it becomes easier for them to connect with and hire talented employees. — Overall, it is clear that being likable can benefit managers in several ways. By being genuine and approachable, managers can build strong relationships with their team members and co-workers. It creates an environment where creativity and innovation thrive as employees feel comfortable expressing themselves. Additionally, by attracting talented employees, the manager becomes more successful in reaching organizational goals.
Other Interesting Reads
How do you know that you are likable?There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as everyone’s experience and professional background will be different. However, some key things are often observable about people whom we consider to be likable, and these include:
- Being able to empathize with others
- Being able to care about others genuinely
- Having good interpersonal communication skills
- Being credible and trustworthy
- Being a good listener
- Possessing a positive attitude
- Being friendly and approachable
How can you improve your likability?The first step managers should take towards developing or improving their likeability is to create or foster the traits mentioned in the previous section in their management style. Once they do that, managers can do many other things to improve their likeability with their employees. One of the most important things is to be genuine and authentic. Employees can see through a false persona and will not respect or trust a manager who is not genuine. Managers should also take the time to get to know their employees personally. Ask them about their hobbies, families, and interests. It will help employees feel recognized, appreciated, and respected and make them more likely to be loyal to the manager. To achieve this, one of the most fundamental managerial skills you must develop is becoming a pro in doing one-on-one discussions with your team. Managers should also strive to be upbeat and maintain a positive and welcoming body language and kindness around others, as it will also help to improve their likability. Finally, managers should always be respectful and treat everyone with dignity.
ConclusionBeing likable is an essential trait for any manager, as it helps to build trust and rapport with their team. It makes it easier for them to accomplish their goals and work collaboratively together. This blog has discussed the importance of likeability and its impact on success as a manager. We have also shared some tips for managers to effectively improve their likeability and ensure that their team and everyone connected to them professionally do like them. So, if you’re looking to improve your managerial skills, make sure to keep things likable!
Download the toolkit to use one-on-one meetings to improve your likeability in your team
Build great personal relationships that propel your professional growth with effective one-on-one meetings
Other Related Blogs
90 Day Leadership Plan for New Managers: 6 Tips
90 Day Leadership Plan for New Managers: 6 Tips Starting a new job can be daunting, especially when it comes to being responsible for the work of others. But don’t…
Why Is Teamwork Important? 5 Solid Reasons Every Manager Must Note
Why Is Teamwork Important? 5 Solid Reasons Every Manager Must Note As a manager, you need to be able to rely on your team to hit deadlines, complete tasks, and…
How Is Organizational Culture Important For Your Growth?
How Is Organizational Culture Important For Your Growth? Organizational culture is one of the most important aspects of a company, as it can significantly impact team performance. Not only does…
Why Is Collaboration Important For Your Team’s Success?
Why Is Collaboration Important For Your Team’s Success? The workplace is increasingly complex and competitive, so team collaboration is more important than ever. By understanding why collaboration is important, and…